Guidelines for Receiving
Central Distribution Services serves as the central receiving point for the University's core campus locations. Our receiving staff checks in freight arriving on contracts.
The main function of the CDS personnel is to check incoming shipments for accuracy; prepare them for delivery to the specified campus location on a first in/ first out basis unless the nature of the material dictates special handling. Freight is typically delivered to the requesting department either same day or next day, depending on time of arrival at Central Distribution Services and the size of shipment.
Special handling exceptions may include:
- All air and overnight shipments
- Sensitive items
- Merchandise with "Hot" or "Rush" designations
CDS will take every precaution to protect these items, and they will be given priority for timely delivery to the requesting department.
If a department wishes to flag a particular package for priority delivery, please contact Central Distribution Services at 814-865-8620 or 814-863-0317.
Departments are also permitted to send representatives to the warehouse to pick up items if they are needed right away.
Items that cannot be processed include the following:
- Live animals
- Perishable items
- Items ordered by outside contractors for work being done at the University. These items are to be delivered by the carrier directly to the contractor.
- Radioactive materials and controlled substances.
- Packages labeled "refrigerate immediately", "freeze upon arrival" or "special handling" instructions.
- Large loads for a single destination for which unloading and reloading would be impractical.
- "Cash on Delivery" (COD) or "Bill to Receiver" packages.
The shipments above will be re-directed by CDS and will be delivered by the carrier to the requesting department.
If personal items arrive at CDS, we assume no obligation for reporting damage claims, claiming concealed damage, or reporting incorrect shipments.
Packaging not properly addressed may not be accepted by CDS or may not make it to the requesting department as quickly as it should. Please adhere to the following guidelines regarding proper addressing of packages by vendors.
- Package must be marked by the vendor on the outside of the package.
- Recipient's name (first and last) must be on the package.
- Recipient's telephone extension must be on the package.
- Recipient's building and room number must be on the package.
Purchase Order-Related Packages
- P.O. number should be clearly marked on the outside of the package and on the packing slip.
- All freight must be delivered with a packing slip.
- Recipient's name (first and last), department, telephone extension, and building and room number should all be listed packing slip.
Non-PO/ Credit Card Related Purchases
- Freight must have the recipient's name (first and last) and telephone extension.
- The recipient's physical address (building & room number) must be clearly marked.